- Re-read through manuscript, especially if I don’t need to. Just to remind myself of the story, you understand….
- Make a cup of tea. Even if my desk is covered in empty mugs.
- Get something to eat. My brain needs food!
- Call my mother. This one is if I’m feeling in particular need of self-punishment.
- Go and see what the boyfriend is doing. If it’s interesting, I might get sucked in. I mean, I might get a plot idea from him! You never know…
- Clean the house. Again, this one only comes up if I am really stuck.
- Check out what’s on iplayer (www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer). They might have exactly the kind of show on that I need to fix the problem in my story! What? They might!
- Make another cup of tea. I have seven kinds of tea in my cupboards. It’ll probably take a few minutes to choose.
- Clean my keyboard. I really shouldn’t eat at my desk. And what’s this mystery item I’ve found between the E and R keys…?
- Check if the mail has been delivered. Get upset that it’s only junk mail.
- Go on Amazon to see if Nora Roberts’ new book is out yet. I’m a Nora junkie.
- Check Twitter. Reply to any interesting tweets.
- By this time I’ll probably have got around to one of the more productive procrastinations I indulge in – writing a blog post!
Jasmine Aherne writes contemporary and paranormal romance. Visit her and say hello at www.jasmineaherne.com