Today's holiday recipe comes courtesy of Lee Ann Sontheimer Murphy, author of the new romance, Sing We Now of Christmas.
When Jessica Martin met Johnny Devereaux that December, holiday magic filled the air but their love was no enchantment….he was, without doubt the love of her life and by summer, they were happy newlyweds with all their life and holidays ahead.
But when he failed to return home from a fishing trip on the Fourth of July, Jessica’s world is rocked to the foundation and when the authorities tell her that her husband is missing, presumed dead, she refuses to believe it.
As the months and seasons pass, no one else holds out hope but Jessica believes.
She knows he’ll be home for Christmas no matter what. Her family calls her crazy, Johnny’s family tries to help her find closure but Jessica’s heart refuses to surrender hope.
When Christmas comes, the truth will come out to shock them all.
Placek Swiateczny (Polish Christmas Bread)
2 1/2 cups flour
2 cups icing sugar
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup walnuts or pecans; chopped fine
2/3 cup raisins
4 oz orange peel; chopped fine
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter
1 tbsp grated lemon peel
1 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp vodka or brandy
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Beat eggs with sugar using an electric mixer for 5 minutes at high speed.
- Mix chopped nuts, raisins, and orange peel with 2 tablespoons of flour.
- Mix remaining flour with baking powder and salt.
- Cream together the butter, lemon peel, and vanilla extract until fluffy. Beat in vodka, then add egg mixture gradually, beating constantly. Add the flour mixture and beat for 5 minutes. Fold fruit-nut mixture into the batter.
- Turn into a greased and floured 9 x 5 x 3-inch pan or a 1-1/2 quart ring mold.
- Bake at 350 F. for 1 hour.
You can find Lee Ann at her website or blog, or via Facebook or Twitter @leeannwriter.